- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 4 lamb shanks, trimmed
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 1 carrot, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely sliced 1⁄2 tsp cocoa powder
- 1 Tbsp fresh thyme leaves
- 1 tsp Moroccan spice
- 3 OXO Lamb Stock Cubes
- 700 mls boiling water
- 1 can (410gms) diced
whole peeled tinned tomatoes
- 1⁄4 cup tomato paste/sauce
- 150 gms green beans, cut to bite-sized lengths
- 1 Tbsp cornflour + 2 Tbsp water Fresh thyme or rosemary
- Heat the oil in a heavy based saucepan and sauté the lamb shanks until browned on all sides. Discard any excess oil and fat.
- Add the onion, carrot, sliced garlic, thyme and spice and toss to coat the shanks.
- Combine the OXO Lamb Stock Cubes, boiling water, tomatoes, cocoa powder and tomato paste and pour over the shanks cover, place in the oven at 170°C for 2 hours or simmer gently for 1 1⁄2 hours on the stove top or until tender.
- Add the beans for the last 5 minutes of cooking until they are bright green and tender. Thicken with the combined cornflour and water if needed. Serve the lamb shanks on creamy mashed potatoes and garnish with thyme.